[hunchentoot-devel] Hunchentoot treatment of unhandled conditions

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 06:50:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 23:30, Daniel Weinreb <dlw at itasoftware.com> wrote:
> Hunchentoot's accept-connections called usocket:socket-accept,
> which signaled a usocket:unknown-error.  Nothing handled this
> condition.  This happened in a server, which crashes (rather than
> going into the interactive debugger) when there is an unhandled
> condition.

[...]

> Are there any plans regarding this, or advice about it?

I do not think that Hunchentoot should continue as if nothing happened
when usocket:socket-accept signals an unknown condition.  After all,
something bad could have happened to the socket, making the following
select hang forever or the following accept just signal the same error
again, both being  undesireable (hanging vs. busy looping).

The real question is:  What is the original error that was converted
into an unsocket:unknown-error? The condition has a real-error slot
that can be examined to find out (and the print method prints it using
"The condition ~A occured.").  Once the original error is known, it
can be decided how usocket must be fixed to map the platform specific
error to a usocket condition class and if Hunchentoot can safely
ignore this error when it occurs during an accept.  Please let us know
what you find out.

-Hans