[hunchentoot-devel] less-than-helpful error message

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Tue Jun 22 15:51:06 UTC 2010

I'm not sure that's the best solution.  Running into trouble
while trying to log an error message is always a pain in
the neck, but it's usually not best to just go ahead anyway.
I try to write fallbacks.  (Hans, I'm sure you know about
this idea; I'm just saying it might be good in this case.)

Here's a simple example of what I mean.

(defun safe-format (stream control-string &rest format-arguments)
  "This is like FORMAT, except that if a condition is signaled
   during the call to FORMAT, it falls back by printing the
   FORMAT control string, followed by as many of the arguments
   as possible.  This function never signals any conditions.
   This means that it can hide errors, so it should not be used
   widely.  It is intended to be used in code that reports
   errors and stack traces, and in logging."
  (handler-case
      (apply #'format stream control-string format-arguments)
    (serious-condition ()
      (ignore-errors
        (flet ((print-fallback (stream)
                 (princ "Error during format: " stream)
                 (princ control-string stream)
                 (dolist (arg format-arguments)
                   (princ " " stream)
                   (handler-case
                       (princ arg stream)
                     (serious-condition ()
                       (ignore-errors
                         (princ "[error printing argument of type " stream)
                         (ignore-errors
                           (princ (type-of arg) stream))
                         (princ "]" stream)))))))
          (if (null stream)