[hunchentoot-devel] 'max-threads' behavior for Hunchentoot

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Tue Jun 1 15:04:28 UTC 2010

Hans,

Hans Hübner wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> first off, thank you for taking the time to improve Hunchentoot and
> for sending a proposed patch.  Please have a look at
> http://weitz.de/patches.html before submitting your next patch for
> review.  In particular, it makes reviews much easier if there is
> documentation about what the patch means to do.
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 16:57, Scott McKay <swm at itasoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> A few notes:
>>  - The function conditionalized out with #+++potentially-faster-way
>>   is meant to be a hint as to how we might refuse the connection
>>   without invoking the overhead of accepting the over-the-limit
>>   connection.  It might be slightly faster, but I don't know if
>>   I like the idea of constantly closing and reopening the listener.
>>

> I don't like the idea, as it opens up a race condition which will
> result in connections being rejected under high load.

I don't understand what race condition you mean.
Would you please explain?

About rejecting connections: We understand that
this behavior would not always be desirable,
and I assumed that Scott means it as an option
rather than the only possible behavior. This
behavior can be useful in a cluster of servers,
in which you'd like to tell the load balancer
that it should choose another server.

Thank you!

-- Dan