[hunchentoot-devel] Best way to run Hunchentoot on Port 80, Proxy-Module for Hunchentoot

Christoph Senjak christoph.senjak at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 16 18:10:09 UTC 2009

Hello.

As I am really annoyed by the confusing configuration-"possibilities"
of apache, and as lighttpd doesnt support what I want to do in its
stable release, I want to run hunchentoot in the first place. However,
there are two problems:

At first, I cannot run a usermode-process listening on port 80. I am
using sbcl, so I could use sb-posix:setuid after starting hunchentoot
and gaining port 80, removing root-privileges. Or I could forward port
80 to port 8000 via firewall policies.

I would prefer the first possibility. The question is, if there is
anything millitating against starting hunchentoot as root and then
using setuid. I.e. any security issues that could result from it,
anything that maybe wont work, etc.

Another thing is the question if there is some proxy- or
passthrough-module for hunchentoot. I still have some php-pages I want
to host (even though I will use lighttpd rather than apache for this),
and would therefore need to pass them to another server in the
background.

Regards,
Christoph Senjak