[hunchentoot-devel] Anyone running Hunchentoot on an OpenBSD server? - final report

Jeff Cunningham j.k.cunningham at comcast.net
Sun Nov 15 18:00:34 UTC 2009

Hans Hübner wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:33, Jeff Cunningham
> <j.k.cunningham at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking into setting up a Hunchentoot server on an OpenBSD system
>> and right away noticed problems in the notes about building threads into
>> SBCL (it sounds experimental). Lack of thread support would be a
>> problem, wouldn't it? Has anyone run Hunchentoot on OpenBSD before? If
>> so, were you able to use SBCL? If not, what did you use?
>>

> I have not run Lisp on OpenBSD, but here is some advice anyway:
> Running Hunchentoot in a single threaded Lisp is not generally a
> problem for low-volume sites.  I would decouple the Lisp server from
> clients using a HTTP proxy so that slow clients can't easily stall the
> server.

For what it's worth, I was able to build Hunchentoot single-threaded on
OpenBSD, but found it nearly impossible to work with that way. I
couldn't find a way to save an executable core, for example. I couldn't
get swank to work, couldn't talk to a running instance so it ends up
pretty much brain-dead. Once I'd launch the server I'd lose the repl ane
the only way to make changes was to kill the process externally, edit
and restart Lisp. There may be ways to solve all these problems, but I'm
thinking I'd be better off spending my time (and money) finding a Linux
server instead.

Thanks for the help,
--Jeff