[hunchentoot-devel] Hunchentoot with ECL

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Wed Mar 26 21:06:32 UTC 2008

Zach Beane wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:52:37AM +0100, Marc Battyani wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately though handy, LOOP has a lot of quirks as well as under
>> specified areas.
>>
> [dangerously offtopic, but...]
>
> Are they really underspecified? My impression is that LOOP is strictly
> specified, but loosely (i.e. incorrectly) implemented in many Common
> Lisps.

I had problems with some loops in cl-pdf which didn't work on CLISP.
There have been several emails on the subject and the only conclusion
was that the standard was ambiguous:
 >6.1.1.6., by saying that stepping and termination tests are "between"
 >and "just before" the loop body executions, contradicts 6.1.1.4. and
 >6.1.2.1., which say that these are _part_ of the loop body.

This is this problem that decided me to switch to ITERATE for complex
loops in cl-pdf/typesetting (and my own projects).

BTW this is becoming off-topic and I don't want to start the debate
again. I just wanted to say that complex loops with LOOP will not be
portable.
(anyway the first loop of this discussion is not compliant at all)

Marc