[hunchentoot-devel] Re: hunchentoot authorization

Arjan Wekking arjan at streamtech.nl
Sun Apr 13 10:11:39 UTC 2008

On 13 apr 2008, at 03:21, Cyrus Harmon wrote:

> This certainly doesn't have to be part of hunchentoot.

Perhaps this can be resolved by considering Hunchentoot a web-server
and, like Robert said, not a web application framework; if this deals
with HTTP details (like HTTP layer authentication and authorization)
the answer is simply 'yes'. If your authorization and authentication
is not at the HTTP layer, I would say it is part of your application
and not HTPP and thus should remain there.

Although a covers-everything web framework has allure at first; I've
often experienced disappointment after actually using some due to un-
layered or incomplete design forcing you to do it their way or having
to use horrible workarounds and hacks that make you feel dirty.

However, there is definitely a place for frameworks that sit on top of
a generic web-server with a good HTTP layer API. I hope Hunchentoot
will remain being such a web-server.

In fact, I firmly believe there is even place for a layer in-between
(think Python's WSGI but perhaps richer) so that web frameworks can be
written in a web-server agnostic way and can perhaps even cooperate
and nest each-other.

Woops, sorry for hijacking your thread with that - I'll get off my
soapbox now ;)

-Arjan