[hunchentoot-devel] mod_lisp anyone?

Robert Koberg rob at koberg.com
Thu Apr 10 12:59:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 14:13 +0200, Ralf Mattes wrote:
> One usecase (which is actually something I need
> to do in the next release cycle of my software): the output of the Lisp
> side (xml) gets transformed by Apache output filters (xslt
> transformation). All "visual" design on my customer's website is done by
> XSLT stylesheets, so design changes (usually once a year :) can be done
> by just rewriting the stylesheets - the content (in XML) is never
> touched (as a nice side effect the content can be viewed in different
> styles). The small Lisp based part of the website currently has to use
> (x)html and every design change needs to be hardcoded in all TAL
> templates ...

mod_xslt2 seems pretty limited. From:

http://www.mod-xslt2.com/doc/manual.xml?sect=5

5.1.9  Increasing performance
<snip/>

Since mod-xslt2 is part of apache itself, a pipe is impossible to use,
unless we fork apache one more time, slowing things down.

The simplest approach has thus been used: creating a temporary file, let
other modules write the replies in there, and then parse the temporary
file. However, by using temporary files, we hit I/O performance issues.
<snip/>

plus, it is only XSL 1.0. There was someone working on an XSL processor
in lisp, but I don't think it is ready yet (forgot the name).

Java is currently the best environment if you have to deal with XSL
transformations server side. If you are using XSL 1.0 only, you could
just do the transformation on the client -- pretty much all browser now
support XSL 1.0.

best,
-Rob