[hunchentoot-devel] using SESSION-VALUE without START-SESSION will never call HT::COUNT-SESSION-USAGE

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Apr 7 04:07:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:55:53 +0000 (UTC), Lars Rune Nøstdal <larsnostdal at gmail.com> wrote:

> from the documentation (which is great btw.) I assumed "(counting
> only requests which use sessions)" included cases where I used
> SESSION-VALUE since, well, i "use" sessions then ... :)

Well, kind of.  The documentation says that sessions have to be
started explicitly with START-SESSION or implictly with (SETF
SESSION-VALUE).  One could argue that pages which use neither of these
operations don't really /use/ sessions as you can't be sure that
you're in a session in that case.

Anyway, what is the actualy problem you're trying to solve?  The
current situation is that there's only a check for a session GC if a
new session /might/ be created.  One could even improve this by only
checking for a session GC if a new session /is/ actually created.  If
your code actually relies on /counting/ something, you should probably
implement your own counter for this, shouldn't you?