[hunchentoot-devel] url-encoding file names

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Mon Jun 18 12:59:38 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 23:41 +0200, Mathias Dahl wrote:
> > pluses so I have to convert them to %20 (or maybe just a space, I will
> > test this).
>
> Yes, spaces works as they are, so one don't need to encode them at all actually.

You do, as a matter of fact ;-)
Seriously: Space characters are illegal in URLs (since the different
parts of a request line a separated by spaces - Iff your client would
send: 'GET /files/stuff/honk zisch HTTP/1.1' your server would be rather
confused about protocol version 'zisch'). Now, since the early Web was
often build by designers rather than programmers _some_ browsers
silently convert spaces to '%20' sequences ... but i wouldn't rely on
that feature - i've seen browsers that don't.

 Cheers, RalfD