[tbnl-devel] Re: tbnl / sbcl 0.8.21

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Tue Apr 5 21:13:33 UTC 2005

[Please use the mailing list.  Thanks.]

Hi!

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:07:22 -0700, Keith Irwin <keith at keithirwin.com> wrote:

> Sir--

Woops...

> I encountered the following after attempting to install TBNL via
> asdf-install on SBCL 0.8.21.
>
> SBCL: linux, sb-thread, sb-unicode
>
> My guess is that it has something to do with SBCL defaulting streams
> to unicode rather than some previous way of doing things, but I
> don't really know much about that stuff.
>
> Thought you might like to know.
>
> Keith
> keith at keithirwin.com
>

> ; compiling (DEFUN SEND-FILE ...)
> ; compiling (DEFPARAMETER *HEADLINE* ...)
> ; compiling (DEFUN MENU ...)
> ; compiling (SETQ *DISPATCH-TABLE* ...)
>
> ; /home/keith/.sbcl/site/tbnl-0.5.4/test/test.fasl written
> ; compilation finished in 0:00:01
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining TBNL-LINK in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining MENU-LINK in DEFUN
> STYLE-WARNING: redefining AUTHORIZATION-PAGE in DEFUN
>
> debugger invoked on a SB-INT:STREAM-DECODING-ERROR in thread 10326:
>   decoding error on stream
>   #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
> \"/home/keith/.sbcl/site/tbnl-0.5.4/test/fz.jpg\"" {936DAA1}>
>   (:EXTERNAL-FORMAT :UTF-8):
>     the octet sequence (255 216 255 224) cannot be decoded.
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [ATTEMPT-RESYNC   ] Attempt to resync the stream at a character
> boundary
>                          and continue.
>   1: [FORCE-END-OF-FILE] Force an end of file.
>   2: [RETRY            ] Retry performing #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {A0DBFD9}>
> on
>                          #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "test" {9AB5861}>.
>   3: [ACCEPT           ] Continue, treating #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL
> {A0DBFD9}> on
>                          #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "test" {9AB5861}> as
> having been
>                          successful.
>   4: [RETRY            ] Retry installation
>   5: [ABORT            ] Exit debugger, returning to top level.
>
> (SB-INT:STREAM-DECODING-ERROR
>  #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
> \"/home/keith/.sbcl/site/tbnl-0.5.4/test/fz.jpg\"" {936DAA1}>
>  (255 216 255 224))
> 0]

One solution might be to check if SBCL has some kind of default
external format which can be used to overwrite the UTF-8 format.  I
don't use SBCL myself but I seem to remember that this might depend on
the value of some environment variable when the image is started.
Maybe someone else here knows the details.

Another option would be to treat SBCL like LW and AllegroCL in case it
also has bivalent streams.

HTH,
Edi.