[tbnl-devel] Question about dispatchers and their actions

Pete Kazmier pete-tbnl-dev at kazmier.com
Fri Jul 23 13:36:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 09:10, Stefan Scholl wrote:
> But I think it should be an exception to the rule. Let the
> handler return _two_ values if he is sure that the reason for not
> processing the request is no fatal error and dispatching should
> continue.
> Normal handlers just return a string or nil if they have a
> problem. Handlers which are aware of the possibility that other
> dispatchers could catch the request when they fail return
> (values nil t)

Thats a good idea.  I keep forgetting about the usefulness of the
ability to return multiple values.  With this ability, I would be able
to minimize the complexity of my dispatch functions and move some of
that logic into the handler itself which could then have the option of
opting to not process the request (defer to the next dispatcher).

Out of curiousity, what do you guys like to use for generating your
HTML?  Are you firm believers in the whole "separation of logic and
presentation" and prefer the use of template engines?  Or do you prefer
to output HTML from your TBNL apps and then let folks use CSS to adjust
the presentation as they see fit?  Or do you use a combination of both?

Thanks,
Pete