[Snow-devel] Slime or other framework for developing Snow

Matus Kmit simply.nitaai at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 06:59:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Alessio Stalla <alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Matus Kmit <simply.nitaai at gmail.com> wrote:
>> i've tried to launch snow with a newer version of ABCL (v0.25), but
>> got the following exception:
>>
>> Exception in thread "main"
>> org.armedbear.lisp.Interpreter$UnhandledCondition: Unhandled lisp
>> condition: The symbol "VARIABLE-
>> INFORMATION" was not found in package SYS.
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.Interpreter$1.execute(Interpreter.java:561)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.LispThread.execute(LispThread.java:653)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.Primitives$pf_apply.execute(Primitives.java:2800)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.Symbol.execute(Symbol.java:801)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.LispThread.execute(LispThread.java:653)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.debug_6.execute(debug.lisp:105)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.CompiledClosure.execute(CompiledClosure.java:124)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.Symbol.execute(Symbol.java:813)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.LispThread.execute(LispThread.java:670)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.debug_7.execute(debug.lisp:114)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.Symbol.execute(Symbol.java:790)
>>        at org.armedbear.lisp.LispThread.execute(LispThread.java:636)
>>
>> i read in your tutorial that snow is using a modified version of ABCL.
>> The version i was trying, was the ordinary one built from sources
>> downloaded from ABCL website.
>
> Right, it was using a modified abcl, but sometime after the 0.3
> release I made it work with standard ABCL. Unfortunately, I forgot to
> make a new release afterwards.
> Now I just released version 0.3.1 that also fixes the problem with
> closing the repl, and includes all the post-0.3 stuff that was on
> trunk (mainly bug fixes and small improvements, but one API change:
> with-widget is now called simply widget). I tested it with the latest
> abcl from trunk but it should also work with 0.25 (besides, 0.26 is
> not far away I think).

Great, thank You!

i just tried that out on windows. No-gui-repl option works now, but if
there is some error in REPL, it does not provide Lisp-like restart
options, but throws a Java Exception instead and leaves snow repl
altogether.

i tried with: (make-var x)

> On a side note, today I read news about JavaFX 2.0 entering beta,
> being Java only (no ad hoc language) and sponsored as Swing 2.0 (old
> Swing is going to die, if it can be even more dead than it is now). I
> don't know how things will evolve, but I sense an opportunity for
> SnowFX ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Alessio

That's interesting to hear :-) Especially if the applications would be
portable on mobile devices...

In regards to SnowFX: What the old snow code be portable without any
big modifications?

Greetings,
Matus