[slime-devel] Today's Daily ChangeLog diff

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu May 10 07:45:17 UTC 2012

* Gábor Melis [2012-05-10 07:21] writes:

> Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:
>
>> * Nikodemus Siivola [2012-05-10 06:14] writes:

>>> If you mean "am I really supposed to wrap WITH-DEADLINE around
>>> CONDITION-WAIT calls", not generally.
>>
>> I meant more "is it possible to write reliable programs with such an
>> API".
>>
>>> In this case however, something else, probably the :AROUND method on
>>> STREAM-FORCE-OUTPUT, has provided a tighter deadline. In such case the
>>> system obeys the global deadline. Sticking a longer deadline into
>>> S-F-E :AROUND would achieve the same result from practical POV.
>>
>> Apparently not.
>
> IMHO, the composition semantics of WITH-DEADLINE are an improvement over
> WITH-TIMEOUT. It's certainly debatable whether the hack in
> STREAM-FORCE-OUTPUT is in good style, but it's there for a reason. It's
> hardly the fault of the API.

It seems to me that WITH-DEADLINE must be used whenever we wait for
something and don't know for certain that we aren't inside another
WITH-DEADLINE.  I.e. "in general" WITH-DEADLINE must be used and only in
the special case when we know that no caller used WITH-DEADLINE can it
be omitted.  I think both WITH-DEADLINE and WITH-TIMEOUT are bad ideas.

Helmut