[slime-devel] Emacs, SLIME and CLISP issue

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sun Feb 28 18:33:10 UTC 2010

* Jiehong Ma [2010-02-28 14:43+0100] writes:

> Hello!
>
> I'm writting you because I can't get Emacs, SLIME and CLISP working together.
>
> Here are my versions number :
> Emacs 23.1
> SLIME cvs from 20091005
> CLISP 2.48
>
> My .emacs file contains
> (add-to-list ’load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
> slime/")
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/clisp")
> (require ’slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> When I type M-x slime on Emacs I get [No Match]…
> The paths are good because I've checked them 2 times but I can't find why
> it's not working over the internet.

The "[No Match]" part indicates that Emacs hasn't loaded Slime yet.  A
likely cause it that your .emacs contains some error and that Emacs
can't read it completely.  E.g. the code you pasted above contains ’
(\u2019) characters which is not the same as ' (\u0027) and it would
lead to problems.  You have to make sure that Emacs can read your .emacs
and starts up properly.  If you start Emacs with: emacs --debug-init
you shouldn't see the debugger or error messages.

Also the command "M-x locate-library slime" should display
the right filename and "M-x load-library slime" should load it.
(That's usually done automatically, but useful to check your setup.)

Helmut