[slime-devel] Re: default connections

Knut Olav Bøhmer knut-olav.bohmer at telenor.com
Fri Sep 26 13:24:05 UTC 2008

Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
> Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:
>

>> I've added this to SLIME, with the name slime-cycle-connections.  No
>> key-binding, though.
>>

> What is the reason that this function tries to make the new connection
> buffer-local?

That is not what this function are doing. it is not to make a new
connection buffer-local.
You make the current-connection variable, buffer-local. That could be an
old, still running, lisp connection, and an old lisp-buffer.
If you have multiple lisp images running, with different source for the
different images. Then having to switch current-connection when jumping
between buffers, saves a lot of frustration.

Example:
I have one lisp running the web-server, using a different lisp with
business logic. Then if I change something in the interface between the
two lisps, I would change something the business-logic-image (C-x C-c in
the source-file for the business-logic-image). Then I would have to
change something in the web-server-image. This is where I save time, as
I have already set current-connection buffer-local to the
web-server-image. So I just press C-x C-c in the source-file for the
web-server-image. Then maybe I want to improve it, so I jump back and
fourth several times.

> I just committed not to do that when we're inside a REPL buffer; but it
> doesn't make much sense for .lisp buffers either, or SLDB buffers, or
> the inspector, or..

Right, it does not make sense for REPL, SLDB or inspector. But as you
can see from the example above: It makes a lot of sense for .lisp files,
and I use it every day.

--
Free Software Consultant
Cell:+47 - 47 34 40 08