[slime-devel] convert-standard-filename causing invalid syntax

Thomas Karolski thomas.karolski at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 11 21:15:54 UTC 2008

Helmut Eller wrote:
> Probably, or it could also be a problem with "g:".  Which lisp is this?

GNU CLISP 2.46 (2008-07-02) (built on reini [10.0.0.5])
Software: GNU C 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
gcc -O2 -pipe  -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wimplicit
-Wreturn-type -Wmissing-declarations -Wno-sign-compare -O2
-fexpensive-optimizations -falign-functions=4 -DUNICODE -DDYNAMIC_FFI
-I. -Wl,--enable-auto-image-base -Wl,--enable-auto-import
-Wl,--stack,8388608 -x none -lintl -liconv -lavcall -lcallback
-lreadline -lncurses -lsigsegv -L/usr/X11R6/lib
SAFETY=0 HEAPCODES STANDARD_HEAPCODES SPVW_PAGES SPVW_MIXED
libsigsegv 2.4
libiconv 1.11
libreadline 5.2
Features:
(READLINE REGEXP SYSCALLS I18N LOOP COMPILER CLOS MOP CLISP ANSI-CL
COMMON-LISP LISP=CL
 INTERPRETER SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN FFI
GETTEXT UNICODE
 BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER PC386 UNIX CYGWIN)
C Modules: (clisp i18n syscalls regexp readline)
Installation directory: /usr/lib/clisp-2.46/
User language: ENGLISH
> PARSE-NAMESTRING isn't very useful for parsing filenames because a
> (name)string can also be a logical pathname and the syntax for filenames
> (where filename is whatever the file system defines as filename) can
> clash with the syntax for logical pathnames.  There is no function in
> the CL standard to parse filenames, we have to write our own.

In CLISP the following works (note the single backslash):
(parse-namestring "g:\path")
the following does not (note the double backslash):
(parse-namestring "g:\\path")
=> PARSE-NAMESTRING: syntax error in filename "g:\\path" at position 2

I somewhat fail to debug slime, since edebug in emacs has trouble
tracing the swank functions. Though it seems the problem lies with the
two backslashes.

Regards,
Thomas K.