[slime-devel] Re: sporadic EOF on start up

Walter C. Pelissero walter at pelissero.de
Thu Mar 27 17:30:45 UTC 2008

Helmut Eller writes:
 > * Walter C. Pelissero [2008-03-25 19:25+0100] writes:
 >
 > > I've been experiencing this since ever but I've always postponed any
 > > investigation to when I had more time.  Having noticed that I never
 > > got around to do anything about it, I thought I might as well involve
 > > the SLIME community.
 > >
 > > About one out of five times I start slime, I get:
 > >
 > > ;; Swank started at port: 49576.
 > > 49576
 > > * ;; swank:close-connection: End-of-File on #<Stream for descriptor 9>
 > >
 > > Through the inferior lisp buffer I can verify that the Lisp is not
 > > dead; I can interact without problems.  It seems like it's just SLIME
 > > that fails to notice that.
 > >
 > > If I do another M-x slime, Emacs asks me if I want to create another
 > > inferior lisp.  Answering "no" the Lisp session is rescued and
 > > everything proceeds as normal.
 > >
 > > Has anyone else seen something like that?
 > >
 > > Just for the record, I'm using CMUCL 19d on FreeBSD.
 >
 > I haven't seem this problem.  It sounds like Emacs closes the
 > connection.  Do you see some error messages on the Emacs side, in the
 > *Messages* buffer?

Here is the relevant bit:

Polling "/tmp/slime.1294".. (Abort with `M-x slime-abort-connection'.) [8 times]
Connecting to Swank on port 52557..
Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: connection broken by remote peer

As it never occured to me it could be Emacs itself, here is its
version:

GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd6.2, GTK+ Version 2.10.14) of 2007-10-09 on zaphod.home.loc

--
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.de