[slime-devel] Re: [RfC] (inspect foo) causing Slime Inspector to show up.

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Mar 18 06:53:45 UTC 2008

* Tobias C. Rittweiler [2008-03-17 21:10+0100] writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working having an (INSPECT FOO) form cause the Slime Inspector to
> pop up (on those implementations that provide a way to hook into the
> their inspection machinery.)
>
> At the moment, we maintain only one *Slime Inspector* buffer, this has
> to be changed due to concurrent evaluation in several threads: For
> instance, think of code invoking INSPECT run at the REPL, and code
> invoking INSPECT evaluated in a *slime-scratch* buffer.

I think threads and inspectors are orthogonal issues.  You could have
multiple inspectors with one thread but also a single inspector for
multiple threads.

> I can think of two different schemes of maintaining inspector buffers:
>
>   a) At the moment, each `C-c I' causes an already existing inspector
>      buffer to be overwritten, change that so that each `C-c I' creates
>      a new buffer. Each invocation of INSPECT also creates a new
>      independent buffer.
>
>   b) Each `C-c I' doesn't create a new inspector buffer, but peruses the
>      one created by `C-c I' the last time (or create it.) Each
>      invocation of INSPECT creates a new independent buffer that's not
>      touched by `C-c I'
>
> Which scheme do you prefer? (Or would you rather have it entirely
> different?)

I think INSPECT should do the same as C-c I.  Two commands would also
also be reasonable, one command to create a new inspector and the other
to reuse the current inspector.  We could also us a prefix-arg to
control whether a new inspector should be created.

Helmut.