[slime-devel] [RfC] (inspect foo) causing Slime Inspector to show up.

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Mon Mar 17 20:10:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm working having an (INSPECT FOO) form cause the Slime Inspector to
pop up (on those implementations that provide a way to hook into the
their inspection machinery.)

At the moment, we maintain only one *Slime Inspector* buffer, this has
to be changed due to concurrent evaluation in several threads: For
instance, think of code invoking INSPECT run at the REPL, and code
invoking INSPECT evaluated in a *slime-scratch* buffer.

I can think of two different schemes of maintaining inspector buffers:

  a) At the moment, each `C-c I' causes an already existing inspector
     buffer to be overwritten, change that so that each `C-c I' creates
     a new buffer. Each invocation of INSPECT also creates a new
     independent buffer.

  b) Each `C-c I' doesn't create a new inspector buffer, but peruses the
     one created by `C-c I' the last time (or create it.) Each
     invocation of INSPECT creates a new independent buffer that's not
     touched by `C-c I'

Which scheme do you prefer? (Or would you rather have it entirely
different?)

  -T.