[slime-devel] Re: Mercurial

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 02:48:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Brian Mastenbrook <brian at mastenbrook.net> wrote:
> Helmut Eller wrote:
>  > Some other big projects are also using hg.  Both, git and hg should
>  > easily handle SLIME.  I would prefer hg, but the main question is:
>  > should we switch at all?
>
>  No. These days it appears that cvs is becoming the least common
>  denominator from which people mirror git or $DVCSOFWEEK. Folks who want
>  to use a distributed version control system can set up mirroring from
>  cvs upstream. For the rest of us it's just one less package to install
>  on N different computers where I have SLIME checked out. In fact it'd
>  probably be even better if actual development took place off the mirror
>  and got pushed to CVS HEAD when it worked reliably.
>
>  Before switching to the new distributed hotness of the week, ask first
>  if the one you're choosing is going to get enough critical mass that
>  when the next hot version control system comes out somebody's going to
>  bother writing an importer for your now old-and-decrepit system. If
>  that's in doubt, you've flushed the entire point of version control
>  (maintaining history) down the drain.
>
>  I personally wouldn't mind if all the cvs users out there switched to
>  svn, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to be happening rapidly.
>  svn is at the point where I think it's mature enough to deploy in broad
>  use and well adopted enough in industry that it's not going to become
>  unmaintained any time within the next decade.
>
>  --
>  Brian Mastenbrook
>  brian at mastenbrook.net
>  http://brian.mastenbrook.net/

Um, as a non-maintainer, I would vote for svn (my first exposure to
version control - cannot comment on others).  fwiw, it has an awsome
gui interface on windows (tortoise).  I use the command line interface
on linux, and with the cheat sheats, life is fairly easy.  I like the
documentation on the web site, and the mailing lists seem fairly
active.

Mirko