[slime-devel] Re: Mercurial

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Mar 4 19:19:56 UTC 2008

* Brian Downing [2008-03-04 18:08+0100] writes:

> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:48:46PM +0100, Helmut Eller wrote:
>> Here are the sizes for the repos on my disk:
>> $ du -h -s  slime-bzr/.bzr/  slime-git/.git slime-hg/trunk/.hg/
>> 8.1M    slime-bzr/.bzr/
>> 7.1M    slime-git/.git
>> 3.9M    slime-hg/trunk/.hg/
>
> I'm not trying to influence things here one way or another (I personally
> prefer Git, but then again I pretty much don't do Slime work anymore
> either), but a simple one-time archival repack (git repack -adf
> --window=250 --depth=250) improves things for Git quite a lot:
>
> :; du -h -s slime/.git
> 3.1M    slime/.git
>
> I know repacking is often brought up as a downside of Git, but after
> using it for close to a year now in a environment with a large
> (proprietary) repository (~420MB packed, 40,000+ files, ten year
> history), it just hasn't been an issue.  It's really nice being able to
> make a time/space tradeoff where you prefer.

I think I know why mine is so big.  I did git-gc and git-repack but I
did also git-cvsimport several times and probably on different machines.
Silly me.  That probably duplicated some/most changesets.

I guess everybody can afford 5-10Mb diskspace (+ 3Mb for the working
tree).  This sizes is primarily interesting for the first checkout,
which will be _slower_ than a checkout with CVS.  Later updates will
then hopefully be much more efficient.

Helmut.