[slime-devel] Is loading slime-asdf broken for anyone else?

Mark Harig idirectscm at aim.com
Sun Feb 17 22:08:54 UTC 2008

Mark Evenson wrote:
> With SLIME from 20080216, I cannot seem to include slime-asdf in the
> list passed to SLIME-SETUP getting the following error in Emacs 22.1
> *Messages*:
>

> require: Symbol's value as variable is void: slime-repl-load/force-system
>

> for the following SLIME initialization code in '.emacs'
>

> (require 'slime-autoloads)
> (setq slime-lisp-implementations
>       `((sbcl ("/opt/local/bin/sbcl"))))
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
>      (lambda ()
>        (cond ((not (featurep 'slime))
>           (require 'slime)
>           (normal-mode)))))
> (eval-after-load "slime"
>   '(slime-setup '(slime-fancy slime-asdf slime-banner)))
>

> Without the 'slime-asdf' in the list passed to SLIME-SETUP, everything
> works just fine.  Can anyone spare a clue as to what I am doing wrong?

You do not appear to have any code that tells SLIME/Emacs where
to find the 'contrib' elisp code.  Something like the following
should fix your EVAL-AFTER-LOAD expression:

    (eval-after-load "slime"
        '(progn
             (add-to-list 'load-path
"/path/to/your/slime/contrib/subdirectory")
             (slime-setup '(slime-fancy slime-asdf slime-banner)))

This was recently (Feb. 2) discussed.  "Why not automatically add the
contribs directory?"

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel/6996