[slime-devel] Re: slime-repl-set-package should not default the current package when calling slime-read-package-name

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Tue Feb 5 09:48:29 UTC 2008

* Marco Baringer <87fxw7c08k.fsf at arsenic.bese.it> :
Wrote on Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:48:27 +0100:

| Michael Weber <michaelw+slime at foldr.org> writes:
|
|> I do this all the time.  How about checking whether the current REPL
|> package is the same as the default argument, in which case the default
|> will be empty?
|
| that's an excellent idea.

If you are going to change this function, you should note that currently
`slime-repl-set-package' ends up calling `slime-search-buffer-package'
to fill in the default, which would be the wrong function to call if
`slime-repl-set-package' is invoked in the REPL, as it would always
return `nil' -- thereby leaving an empty default.

[Also, the behaviour of `slime-search-buffer-package' is what makes it
useful in invoking `slime-repl-set-package' in a file looking at a lisp
buffer, and is dependent on where the cursor is -- so a repl shortcut
would probably not cut it.  My *slime-scratch* file for instance has
several cl:in-package forms]

--
Madhu