[slime-devel] Re: contrib branch

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Aug 25 22:15:43 UTC 2007

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> * Tobias C. Rittweiler [2007-08-25 18:41+0200] writes:
>
> > Shouldn't people who make changes to Slime try to introduce as little
> > breakage as possible, including the contribs? (I.e. at least that
>
> Well, contribs are second class citizens.  If a contrib breaks it's
> the burden of the contrib author/maintainer to fix that.  I don't
> expect that we will intentionally break contribs or make it needlessly
> difficult to fix them, but contribs shouldn't be our primary concern.

Which doesn't contradict to what I said, and isn't an argument against
what I suggested.

It was you who accused my recent proposal for reorganization that it
sounds like an attempt to just move bad code into different files, them
to be out of sight. Now you did just that.

> > I'd still like to see swank.lisp split into swank-utils.lisp for exactly
> > that purpose. The point of swank-utils.list is that it should contain
> > shared functionality between core and contribs (and among the contribs
> > themselves). Because it's supposed to contain _well abstracted_, generic
> > utility functionalities, people are pressured to come up with, and to
> > use abstractions in their code.
>
> Yeah, you said that more than once.  [...]

Indeed, it's the second time. And it's also the second time that you
didn't actually address the issue.

The issue is not pulled from hot air, FWIW; swank-fuzzy.lisp defines
`classify-symbol' and `symbol-classification->string' which is also used
in swank-fancy-inspector.lisp. These two functions do have an perfect
end in themselves, and may turn out to be useful in other places. I'm
going to move them to swank.lisp for now.

  -T.