[slime-devel] Re: three little patches

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Mon Apr 3 08:33:28 UTC 2006

Gary King <gwking at metabang.com> writes:

> No, this is general slime feature / problem. I'd still like to know
> how people use meta-point in general? Do people expect to be in the
> correct package or specify the correct package every time?

I would occasionally benefit from patch in cases when browsing a file
whose code is in a package as-of-yet-unloaded, and meta-pointing to a
symbol in COMMON-LISP, but that's about all: I virtually always work
with the code loaded, and only code in COMMON-LISP is likely to be
there for the having if the file itself isn't loaded.

If your patch (I haven't actually tried it, so...) affects arglist
lookup it would be a misfeature for me: whenever Slime fails to give
me the arglist I expect I know something is wrong.

How about for a more conservative version: if the symbol isn't found
in the current package, prompt user for an alternative package,
defaulting to CL-USER?

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."
.