[slime-devel] Re: source path finding breaks in the presence of #.

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Mon Nov 7 12:53:22 UTC 2005

* Luke Gorrie [2005-11-07 09:40+0100] writes:

> Do you remember why we have *READ-SUPPRESS* bound to NIL when we call
> READ-AND-RECORD-SOURCE-MAP? I don't and it seems comment-worthy.

READ returns always nil if *READ-SUPPRESS* is t, but we need the form
for the lookup in the source-map.  (It doesn't matter if we read it in
the wrong package.)

We set *READ-SUPPRESS* to t while skipping over the uninteresting
top-level forms just to avoid unnecessary interning.  This seems to be
a bigger annoyance because many readmacro writers forget to test their
code with *READ-SUPPRESS* = t.

Helmut.