[slime-devel] non-blocking read from REPL

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Mon Nov 7 07:40:22 UTC 2005

* Daniel Patru [2005-11-04 19:39+0100] writes:

> It seems that any new input in the slime REPL during a running command
> is buffered as a new command instead of as input to the currently
> running command.

As I said in the other message: text is only added to the input buffer
if the REPL is in read-mode.  The only way to switch the to read-mode
is to (possibly indirectly) call READ-CHAR.  READ-CHAR will get a
chunk of text, append it to the input buffer, and disable read-mode
afterwards.

> Is it even possible to do a non-blocking read in the slime REPL, or is
> this one of the things I have to give up if I want to use slime?

I think that's correct, i.e. it's not possible.  At least not with our
current approach.

Helmut.