[slime-devel] Re: Macroexpand in "wrong" package?

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com Alain.Picard at memetrics.com
Thu Feb 26 02:17:51 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel writes:
 > Alain.Picard at memetrics.com writes:
 >
 > > I'm using latest CVS slime + Lispworks on Linux.
 >
 > Hey Alain, I have no help for you with your question but maybe you can
 > answer this for me: how do you connect SLIME and Lispworks? I have the
 > trial edition but can't figure out how to start it as a regular
 > command line program which is what I assume I want. Or do you launch
 > the IDE, start the swank server, and then connect to it?

I don't know if this will work for you, as I use the professional
edition.  What I do is, I deliver a "console executable"
which preloads a bunch of our system; basically, our delivery
script looks like this:

 - load corba
 - load sql
 - load patches
 - load local fixes
 - load basic system stuff which never changes

then
    (defvar *image-name* "XOS:BIN;lw-console")
    (save-image *image-name*
		:environment :with-tty-listener
		:clean-down nil)

Then, in my .lispworks file, I have
    (load "/home/ap/Lisp/slime/swank-loader.lisp")
    (load "/home/kooks/dev-tools/Lispworks/asdf")
    (pushnew "/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/" asdf:*central-registry*)

Then I load slime pretty normally (as far as I know of what is "normal")
with the only custom thing being:
   (setq inferior-lisp-program "/home/kooks/XOS/Bullseye/bin/lw-console")

(which is the full path on my box to *image-name* above).

The console starts up; brings up the GUI podium, loads swank, and
connects to emacs.

It's _marvelous_; compared to ILISP, I'm in hog heaven.
I get both emacs AND all the fancy inspectors/browsers built into LW.

I think the key is having an image with
     :environment :with-tty-listener
this is what causes it to look like a "regular tty" lisp
from emacs's POV.

BTW; a while back, none of this was working, and what I did
then was
 - launch my console in a shell
 - manually execute something like:
 (defun start-slime-listener ()