[slime-devel] Re: Backup tags handling for M-.

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com Alain.Picard at memetrics.com
Thu Apr 29 23:11:05 UTC 2004

Nikodemus Siivola writes:
 > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Luke Gorrie wrote:
 >
 > > > tags file like emacs Lisp-mode when it's standard behavior fails?
 > >
 > > Certainly this is possible, but why not compile/load the module that
 > > you're browsing instead?
 >
 > Because the box is under too much strain already, or loading the module
 > would take too long, or the module is not in a loadable state.

Concur.  This is what ILISP does, and I think it's fine behaviour.
One often wants to view some files "read only", not polluting
the state of the underlying lisp world with undesired symbols.

I'd imagine something like:

(defvar *slime-follow-reference-style* 'slime-references-use-inferior-lisp-only
 "Could also be set to slime-references-fallback-on-tags")

so the user can choose what they like.