[slime-devel] Re: Some remarks

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:46:39 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> The swank code is recompiled if the one of the .lisp source files is
> newer than the corresponding fasl file and Emacs asks if he should
> recompile slime.el if an old slime.elc lies around.  But we just abort
> when the Lisp and ELisp versions are out sync.  Not sure if a more
> automatic mechanism is worth the trouble.

I have added some code to auto-detect if slime.elc is older than
slime.el -- I wonder if that would be sufficient now?

With stale bytecode out of the way AFAICS the ChangeLog test just
catches people doing "cvs update" but then only restarting one of
Emacs and Lisp. If word gets around that you should restart both Emacs
and Lisp after a cvs update (unless you know what you're doing) then
maybe that won't be such a big problem, and we can remove the test?

-Luke