[slime-devel] Closing *Completions* buffer

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Tue Apr 27 19:37:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:56:21PM +0200, Helmut Eller wrote:
> Tiago Maduro-Dias <tcmd at rnl.ist.utl.pt> writes:
> > Hope this helps!
>
> This is quite nice. Thanks for the patch. It's in CVS now.

This doesn't seem to work quite right for me.  Here's how.

1. Start emacs.  I have one frame with one window that's *scratch*.
2. M-x slime.  (Mine happens to be OpenMCL.)
3. Slime loads.  Now I have two windows, *scratch* on top, and
   *slime-repl[1]* on bottom, selected.
4. I only want the REPL, so I C-x 1, making slime-repl take the whole
   screen.
5. I type "(symb<TAB>".  It completes to "(symbol", and the completions
   pop up in a window at the bottom of the screen.
6. I want symbol-macrolet, so I type "-m<TAB>".  It completes
   symbol-macrolet.  But my window is still split; *scratch* has taken
   the place of *Completions*.  I banished *scratch* above, I don't want
   to see it again.

I find this more annoying than just having the completions stay up,
since at least they have some bearing on my Lisp work.

I think it should restore the window configuration that was there before
the completions popped up, unless windows manipulation commands were run
in the interim, in which cast the user would be annoyed when whatever he
did disappeared.

Unfortunately I have no clue how to do this.  :)  Maybe tieing in to
winner-mode (which I have up anyway...)

-bcd