[slime-devel] Some remarks

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Apr 20 22:59:28 UTC 2004

Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:

> 1. The function slime-remove-notes is bound to C-c M-c while the
>    manual says M-c.

Should be fixed now.

> 2. The shortcut ,change-directory uses a function read-directory-name
>    which I don't seem to have. I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.

I included definition from CVS Emacs.

> 3. Is there a specific reason that RET isn't bound to
>    newline-and-indent (or something similar) as in ILISP but only to
>    C-j?

This is a somewhat theological question.  I think the primary reason
is that RMS likes to use C-j, but I assume other people like C-j too.
I think it is the official convention for all programming modes.
Perhaps there is already some way to customize it.

Anyway, newline-and-indent does not quite belong to SLIME, it belongs
to lisp-mode.  All we can do is to override the binding in the
lisp-mode-map.  I think a discussion about C-j vs. RET would be more
productive on emacs.devel or comp.emacs than here.

> 4. Load CL-PPCRE, than invoke slime-apropos-package (a cool function
>    by the way). Now position the cursor above PPCRE-SYNTAX-ERROR and
>    invoke slime-edit-definition. I get:
>
>      No matching method for the generic-function #<Standard-Generic-Function PCL:COMPUTE-APPLICABLE-METHODS-USING-CLASSES (1)
>                                                    {281DF8F1}>,
>      when called with arguments (#<Closure Over Function "DEFUN %DEFINE-CONDITION"
>                                    {4879E009}>
>                                  (#<CONDITIONS::CONDITION-CLASS PPCRE-SYNTAX-ERROR
>                                     {486B867D}>)).
>         [Condition of type NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD]
>
> 5. In the same *SLIME Apropos* buffer position the cursor above
>    CREATE-SCANNER and invoke slime-edit-definition. Now I get:
>
>      Error in function COMMON-LISP::%%TYPEP:
>      Unknown type specifier: C::FILE-SOURCE-LOCATION
>      [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

This is due to differences in CMUCL 18e and the current snapshots.  I
added some workarounds and CVS SLIME shouldn't break, but cannot
cannot find the location in 18e.  I guess we need better tests to
avoid regressions like this.

> 6. I think that slime-interactive-eval is a very useful function and
>    IMHO the C-c : keybinding should also be available in the Slime
>    REPL. Yeah, I know that you actually don't need to use the
>    minibuffer while you're in the REPL but in the long run it'd be
>    easier for my muscle memory to always be sure that C-c : is there
>    without thinking... :)

That's true.  Fixed in CVS.

> Thanks to all for this great package!

And thank you for the feedback.