[slime-devel] Some remarks

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Tue Apr 20 19:05:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:41:51 -0600, Bill_Clementson at peoplesoft.com wrote:

> The function appears to be in GNU Emacs 21.3.5 but not in 21.3.1

Ah, OK. Is that a version from CVS? I actually wanted to try a CVS
Emacs anyway because it looks like they made some improvements to
lisp-mode after the 21.3 release.

<nitpick>
  But of course SLIME shouldn't use this function as long as it is
  advertised as being usable on GNU Emacs 20... :)
</nitpick>

>> 3. Is there a specific reason that RET isn't bound to
>>    newline-and-indent (or something similar) as in ILISP but only to
>>    C-j?
>
> This bugged me too. I manually put the following in my .emacs file:
> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda ()
>                       (slime-mode t)
>                       (define-key lisp-mode-map [(control j)] 'newline)
>                       (define-key lisp-mode-map [(control m)] 'newline-and-indent)
>                       etc....))
>
> However, I agree that it should probably be the default.

Yes, I've also put similar code in my .emacs but I usually prefer to
make as few modifications as possible in order to make it easier to
upgrade and/or use Emacsen on other machines.

> If you like slime-space, you should try adding (slime-autodoc-mode)
> to your .emacs file. It shows the same info as slime-space does for
> whatever function your cursor is currently over.

Just did it. Cool!

Cheers,
Edi.