[slime-devel] Re: Bad interaction between slime and repl variables in SBCL

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Apr 5 06:40:57 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Lawrence Mitchell <wence at gmx.li> writes:
>
>> Using the latest version of slime (2004-04-02), and SBCL
>> 0.8.9.6, I get problems with repl variables.  To whit:
>>
>> ; SLIME 2004-04-02
>> CL-USER> (find-package "CL")
>> #<PACKAGE "COMMON-LISP">
>> CL-USER> *
>> CL-USER> +
>> (LOAD "/opt/cvs-trees/slime/swank-loader")
>> CL-USER>
>
> I don't get this problem with SBCL 0.8.5.50. I'll pull a new version
> and try it there.

Oh, I bet its a threads thing, with the REPL evaluating with a new
thread each time and getting new values for the variables. (For some
reason I don't have threads in my current SBCL build.)

I'm already planning to look at using a dedicated/persistent thread
for the REPL, so if that's the problem it should be fixed that way.

Or maybe its something else. Plenty of time to speculate while SBCL
compiles. :-)

-Luke