[regex-coach] Possible regex coach bug in "Tree"

Gordon Fitz-Simons gordon at fitz-simons.org
Thu Jul 5 20:53:29 UTC 2007

Hi

I noticed a possible bug after completing the excellent "Tutorial".

===========
Background:
===========
I am running Windows XP Professional, SP 2 and am current
   on all "Windows Update" fixes.

My machine is an HP Pavilion:
    CPU: AMD Turon 64  ML-37
    Mem: 1 Gigabyte

I am using "The Regex Coach" version 0.9.1. which
   I just downloaded and installed.

I have never previously installed any versions of "The Regex Coach"

The version of msvcr80.dll installed on my machine is 8.0.50727.42.

===========
Problem:
===========
My problem can be replicated as follows:

1. Enter   (x*)b|a(y+)c    in the "Regular expression" text box.
2. Enter   xaacy           in the "Target string"      text box.
3. "Click" on the "Tree" Tab

      The "Parse tree" is shown correctly.

4. In the "Regular expression" text box
    a. Highlight "|a(y+)c" with the mouse
    b. Press the delete key - leaving only "(x*)b"

     The "Parse tree" now shows (incorrectly?) a combination
     of the regex entered in 1 above
     AND the edited regex entered in 4 above!

     Is this a problem/bug?

Thanks in advance!

Gordon Fitz-Simons