[regex-coach] Re: Regex Coach

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Sat Sep 17 21:28:25 UTC 2005

>> requires roughly 2 seconds for a screen update.
>
> Hmm, screen update on my laptop (Pentium M 2.0 GHz, XP pro) is without
> a noticable delay - even if I run the app from within VMWare
> (simulating Debian Linux with 512 MB of RAM).  Should it be that my
> CPU is so much faster than yours?

Perhaps, but a 1GHz CPU shouldn't be considered that old (my laptop is a
Celeron 400 - now that IS old, but still perfectly good for much of my
work).  A Pentium M 2.0 GHz runs a good 3-4 times faster than a p3 1ghz.
Note, that based on measuring how long it takes to delete 10 characters in
a comment at the end (15s), the corrected time is 1.5s/char, so 3-4 times
faster is <0.5s which may indeed be fast enough???

VMware won't slow down an application like the regex coach (much) as there
are few places were HDD or Hardware (screen, etc.) is accessed.  I expect
regex coach under VMware runs at around 80-95% of full speed.

Cheers,
MaZe.