[quiz] call for quizzes, and [QUIZ 4] centering

Larry Clapp larry at theclapp.org
Thu Jul 12 10:58:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 07:47:01PM -0700, Peter Seibel wrote:
> Larry Clapp wrote:
> >In particular: no solutions for 48 hours; if you post one after
> >that, include "[SPOILER]" in the subject.
>
> I'm going to unilaterally change the rules (at least as they apply to me
> ;-)) and say that it's okay to send a solution whenever you want as long
> as it's got SPOILER in the subject. If I hack up a solution I don't want
> to have to remember to come back in two days and send it to the list.

Yeah, I can live with that.  After I posted the puzzle, I hacked up a
solution, and gnashed my teeth that by my own rules I couldn't send it
back.  :)

> So here's my version of CENTER.
[snip]

Broken.  (Hey, if you can change the rules about posting solutions, I
can change the rules about judging!  ;)

Hint: re-read the problem specification.

Broken in a common way, though (based on MJD's comments[1] on the
solutions to the first Perl quiz), and in the same way as my last
almost-correct solution.

Your solution highlights some of the possible axes of judging, aka
design trade-offs, kind of like Kent is always harping^W reminding us
about in c.l.l.  Specifically, your solution conses a little more than
mine, but since you use reduce and mapcan and I use loop (twice),
yours seems "Lispier".

-- L

[1] http://perl.plover.com/~alias/list.cgi?mss:8:200210:gjgjlgandhobgejokhic