[quiz] call for quizzes, and [QUIZ 4] centering

Larry Clapp larry at theclapp.org
Wed Jul 11 22:36:18 UTC 2007

I think there's interest in this list, I just think the guy that
started it (Marco Baringer) ran out of or overestimated his free time.

If you have a puzzle or quiz, feel free to post it to the list.  Heck,
if you have some (short) Lisp code that's just not working and you
don't know why, post it to the list.

[ /me Googles ... ]

This list started as an imitation of the Perl quiz of the week, so
I'll shamelessly copy their first quiz (see below).

I'd also like to ask everyone to take a moment and re-read the rules
of the game as posted here[1].  In particular: no solutions for 48
hours; if you post one after that, include "[SPOILER]" in the subject.
I'll add to that: If you reply to a SPOILER thread and cut out the
solution, you can remove SPOILER from the subject (or maybe change it
to UNSPOILED just for fun :).  Also, the Perl quiz site has the
following Q&A (paraphrased): Q: Where to I send my answer?  A: Don't
feel obligated to send it anywhere.  The point of solving the puzzle
is to have solved it.

I'm not Marco, of course, so feel free to ignore me.  :)

Anyway, the quiz:

Write a function, 'center', whose argument is a list of strings, which
will be lines of text.  'center' should insert spaces at the beginning
of the lines of text so that if they were printed, the text would be
centered, and return the modified lines.

For example,

  (center "This" "is" "a test of the" "center function")

should return the list:

  ("     This" "      is" " a test of the" "center function")

because if these lines were printed, they would look like:

       This
        is
   a test of the
  center function