[quiz] [QUIZ #1] Solution by Stuart Sierra

Pascal Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Wed May 3 19:38:54 UTC 2006

Stuart Sierra writes:
> Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> > Is it possible to suggest that the CAPTCHA must be "easily"  localizable ?
> > By abstarcting the translatable strings for ex ?
>  > that would be parsed for display, and easily translatable to any other
>  > language
>
> Abrahamson and I put our strings into global variables, which is fairly
> easy to translate.  The only problem is making (format "~r")
> multi-lingual, e.g. (format "~r" 2) => "deux"

It cannot and it must not.  Not until there's a new CL standard at least.

But within the current standard, you can write:

(format t "~/localization:format-number-in-french/" 2)
;; or:
(format t "~V/localization:format-number-language/"
           (localization:language-index :french) 2)

> > and a "pattern" model that would be parsed to create the "generate-
> > question" code ?
>
> That's a bit trickier, especially when you get into issues of word
> order.  FORMAT is pretty good at this, but I don't think you can change
> the order of the arguments, at least not without some ugly hacks.

And you don't need, since FORMAT is pretty good at skipping around the
argument list.

> > I am also a translator in real life and that it is one  of
> > the reasons I got interested in Lisp)
>
> See also CL-I10L at http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-l10n/
>
> -Stuart

THIS IS A 100% MATTER PRODUCT: In the unlikely event that this
merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic
explosion will result.