[quiz] [QUIZ #1] Solution by Stuart Sierra

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Wed May 3 17:42:02 UTC 2006

On 2006/05/04, at 2:11, Richard Newman wrote:

>> How hard would that be to have a "source" file including things
>> like key=value for the localizable strings:
>
> The way this is done in, say, Cocoa is to have a localisation file
> containing format strings:

Well, I don't think thinking in terms of platform specific methods
would do the trick.

Just making sure that there is a part of the code that is easily
understandable as localizable would do I suppose.

When I write small scripts for my work, I always take care to
separate string values from the code so that eventually, anyone could
just take the code, identify the localizable strings, translate them
and run the script natively.

Also, in the case of Lisp, it looks like there is not "one" way to
prepare an app for localization, but that also means that not a lot
of people actually have localization issues in mind (by default).
They sometimes have to consider the l10n issue, and it may be easier
to deal with that in Lisp than in any other language, but it then
looks like ad-hoc measures rather that strategies from the ground up.

Regards,
Jean-Christophe