[postmodern-devel] Inserting into related tables

Ivan Boldyrev lispnik at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 17:09:23 UTC 2008

On 10074 day of my life Marijn Haverbeke wrote:
> Hope that helps. If you come up with a better way, let me know.

I have googled for "postgres insert ignore" and found solution using
SAVEPOINT and ROLLBACK TO:
http://robbat2.livejournal.com/214267.html

(The example is from PosgreSQL UPDATE documentation).

On 10074 day of my life Marijn Haverbeke wrote:
> Oh (and I'm really sending too many separate mails today) -- have you
> tried just using the producer names as their IDs?

It only solves wasted IDs problem, but no other, doesn't it?  And joins
on strings are slower than on ints (though I cannot say my application
is so much performance-constrained).

--
Ivan Boldyrev

              "Assembly of Japanese bicycle require great peace of mind."