[postmodern-devel] development plans for discussion

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:00:16 UTC 2007

> About the encoding -- don't worry about ditching trivial-utf-8, if
> there is a faster and more general alternative that's cool. I don't
> see any functionality for writing directly to a stream in it though,
> but maybe I didn't look hard enough. Perform some benchmarks to prove
> that babel actually speeds things up before building a patch.

ok. i'm waiting for Luis to push some of his changes, and after that
i'll add buffered stream writing capabilities if it's not among the
new patches.

> I didn't know iolib. It looks cool -- but I'm not okay with making
> postmodern posix-only. If you can find a way to make the socket
> library 'pluggable', that would be cool... but then we're writing a
> wrapper around socket wrapper libraries, which is a bit screwy. Have
> you looked deeply in the problems you're having with usocket? Might
> they be fixed by patching usocket?

the problem is with sb-bsd-sockets. but even if it were working fine
then usocket would be missing api for timeouts. my problem is that
sometimes the connection is dropped (no idea why, there's no error in
the postgres log), but when it happens in the wrong phase then the
CL:CLOSE call hangs in TRY-TO-SYNC forever. my current fix is a local
kludge patch that uses sbcl's WITH-TIMEOUT directly.

i'll try to make iolib compile-time pluggable and if it's not too
kludgy then i'll record it and report back.

happy hacking,

--
 attila