[pg-devel] Socket path

Eric Marsden eric.marsden at free.fr
Sat Sep 23 12:28:42 UTC 2006

>>>>> "tc" == Travis Cross <travis at crosswirecorp.com> writes:

  tc> The idea of passing in the path to the socket using the host parameter
  tc> actually seems like a reasonable solution to me, if the behavior were
  tc> consistent between implementations.

  I have (finally!) implemented this; see the following text that I
  have added to the NEWS file.

  - on CL implementations that support Unix sockets, the HOST argument
   to PG-CONNECT may designate the directory containing the local
   PostgreSQL unix socket (often "/var/run/postgresql/"). The HOST
   argument is assumed to designate a local directory rather than a
   hostname when its first character is #\/. You may need to modify
   authentication options in the PostgreSQL configuration file
   pg_hba.conf to allow connections over a unix-domain socket where
   the databse username is not equal to your ident tokens. This is an
   incompatible change to previous support for unix-domain sockets
   with CMUCL (previously a HOST of NIL told pg-dot-lisp to connect
   to a unix-domain socket whose name was hardwired into the library).
   This support currently exists for SBCL, CMUCL and OpenMCL.

--
Eric Marsden