Adding CL:TAGBODY for SERIES support

Andrew Easton Andrew at Easton24.com
Fri Feb 10 08:42:16 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

How’s it going?

What is a good path forward for adding (tagbody …) to ParenScript?
Package “parenscript-tagbody-go” [1] currently provides a beta-version implementation using (defpsmacro …).
It seems like originally, even classes and objects were user-land macro packages outside of lisp implementations.
Nevertheless, integration into package “parenscript” seems to help with usability and discoverability.

The implementation seems to be mostly working.  Jason’s bug report seem to be fixed.
Two more bugs concerning duplicate labels and empty (tagbody) forms were fixed as well.

There is now also a preliminary package “parenscript-series” [2] that already offers
a custom js array scanner and two js array collectors.  One collector pushes the other unshifts.
The push collector was surprisingly difficult to implement, because SERIES macroexpands (push …) in (parenscript:chain arr (parenscript:push elem)) to whatever the current lisp implementation does. On SBCL 2.3.1, for example, it ends up with some SBCL internal form.
The solution is (parenscript:funcall (parenscript:getprop arr (quote push)) elem).

The biggest problems with collectors and scanners were unimplemented CL forms in ParenScript, e.g. (the …) and (make-list …).
It seems to be less work to reimplement the few SERIES operations that use too many of those CL features compared to porting all the missing CL features that the CL SERIES expanders rely on.

With this array scanner and these two array collectors, (series:map-fn …) gets translated to JavaScript correctly, without further intervention.
So the following works, now that (tagbody …) can be pipelined and compiled:

(ps*
  (series-expand:series-expand
    '(collect-js-array-push
       (map-fn T (lambda (x) (* x 2))
          (map-fn T #’1+
             (scan-js-array '(1 2 3))))))
;; => #<JavaScript code>
;; => [4, 6, 8] // when evaluated in JavaScript

Does it seem useful to integrate “parenscript-tagbody-go” into ParenScript itself or is a standalone package better maintenance-wise?
Something like "parenscript-series” seems like it may be better off as a separate package.
Nevertheless, SERIES is a pipelining compiler for pre-order traversal and with ParenScript being its own full compiler, integrating SERIES could be valuable.
Especially when implementing and composing operations from relational algebra having pipelining is a huge help.
Most of the usability mess with SERIES and CL seems to stem from the fact that it was *not* included in the standard and integrated into CL implementations properly [3 (page 55), 4 (page 6)].
SERIES got two honorable mentions in CLtL2 [5,6], but that seems to have been it from a usability standpoint.

What does experience suggest on these two matters?

Cheers,
Andrew

[1] https://dapperdrake.neocities.org/faster-loops-javascript
[2] https://dapperdrake.neocities.org/faster-loops-javascript <https://dapperdrake.neocities.org/faster-loops-javascript>