[movitz-devel] Re: A question about the tmp directory, and ext2 support

eric weasil i_am_weasel at kittymail.com
Fri Jan 18 08:16:44 UTC 2008

Martin Bealby

> Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE> writes:
>
> >> There is in principle no ext2 support. The tmp directory holds various
> >> bits and pieces of (contributed) code that's not really integrated
> >> with the rest of the system (yet). See the ext2 file as a starting
> >> point for you to write proper ext2 support for movitz :-)
> >
> > Great, it's an opportunity! :)
> >
> > Then I still have the problem I don't know how to integrate anything with the
> > rest of the system...
> >
> > I'll take a closer look at the source and see if I can get a handle of things
> > to post more specific questions.
> >
> > /Andreas
> >

> Hi Andreas, I'm glad you are willing to contribute to Movitz.
>
> Both Shawn and myself track the unofficial git repository[1] of movitz
> as everyone can then have commit access for exchanging ideas.
>
> In the git repository you will find some hard drive sector reading /
> writing code[2] in there that was created by myself back in October.  I
> believe there was an issue with the code in tmp (unknown author?) so I
> decided to write a (simpler) replacement.  I performed some preliminary
> testing (in qemu) and it appeared to work fine.
>
> This could be a useful platform for building up a filesystem layer upon.
>
> I hope this helps,
> Martin

Hi everybody,

I did also write a couple of lines IDE-harddisk interaction code (which is not the hard part in harddisk interfacing). The hard part (IMHO) is to figure out which disks are present and which parameters apply to them. I ended up whith a simple read-sectors and write-sectors commmand (tested) and a init functions wich detect the presence of your disks. I wrote also a partition-table-reader and began to read some ext2fs specs.
The disk interface seems to be currently the most wanted improvement to movitz. We have now 3 attempts. I guess its time for ext2 :).

Erik Soehnel