[movitz-devel] Re: Self-hosting

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Fri May 7 12:07:16 UTC 2004

james at unlambda.com (James A. Crippen) writes:

> What is missing in the compiler such that it can't compile itself
> yet?

More than anyhting I think what's missing is simply the infrastructure
such as access to files etc.

Also, there are probably quite a few places in the current compiler
that assumes some sort of cross-compiling setup, and that one wants to
change somewhat for a self-hosting system.

I think there are two strategies for getting the compiler going:

  1. To "import" parts of the compiler piece-by-piece, taking the
     pieces that are needed, and re-writing some other pieces. The
     first piece would be the (or an) assembler.

  2. To "port" the whole thing as a unit.

I think option 1 is the better choice.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld