[movitz-devel] Object sharing between processes

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Wed May 5 14:59:39 UTC 2004

On May 5, 2004, at 7:31 AM, Janis Dzerins wrote:

[snip]

> What you want (I guess) is to bring a lot of concepts of conceptual
> OSes
> to Movitz (LispOS).  What "we" are after, on the other hand, is the
> *Lisp* OS.  We don't want programs each having different understanging
> of what arguments are and how they are specified -- we have functions
> with their calling mechanism.  We want "Lisp down to the metal", with
> all the benefits it brings us.  I suggest reading some materials on
> existing Lisp OSes (use google, or this link for a start: <URL:
> http://www.its.caltech.edu/~weel/lispm.shtml >).

Note, though, that there are some handy features of non-LISP operating
systems that we would probably like to have (certainly, that I would
like to have).

One of them that I would certainly like to have is some sort of support
for security; Symbolics and other LispM systems were quite insecure, by
design. Anyone could frob anything in any process anywhere at any time,
which was certainly very handy when developing software, but it's not
so great when you want to have a system that lives on the net or
otherwise shares resources with users and processes that may not
necessarily be trustworthy.