[mel-base-devel] Maintenance and future development status

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Tue Dec 22 01:11:15 UTC 2009

How actively is mel-base being used and maintained?  Any plans for further development, particularly of the IMAP module?

I got mel-base running under ClozureCL last night and found that there were a number of interesting things missing from IMAP support and a few bugs I had to work around.  It was fairly simple to get it working with cl+ssl, per a prior question.  This was a custom hack for ccl though.

I'd love to adopt mel-base for a project, but I'd like to change quite a bit including proper support for cl+ssl, use of usocket, bordeaux-threads, etc instead of embedded portability layers, IMAP search and IMAP idle support and so on.  I'm wiling to fork my own version to add these features, but wanted to see what the maintainer's feelings and thoughts were before I did any significant surgery.   I'd certainly rather not be the primary maintainer going forward, but am willing to do so if you are not able to invest the time to make and test some significant changes and additions.

Thank you,
Ian