[mcclim-devel] Black art

rpgoldman at real-time.com rpgoldman at real-time.com
Thu Apr 28 17:17:15 UTC 2005

I think one thing that makes it more confusing for a newcomer to CLIM
is the way many of the manuals are written.

I have looked at both the LW and the Allegro manuals, and maybe
they're great manuals, but they are terrible to learn from.

For example, the Franz CLIM UG seems to be written from the bottom-up,
in parallel to the architecture of the software.  It starts with
drawing planes and the screen, and then works up to gadgets.

But if one looks at sources that try to teach a programmer how to do
things, they always start with tasks the programmer might want to
accomplish, and work down into detail.  So a guide to using CLIM
should start with application frames, move to gadgets, etc.

Again, I'm not trying to complain that this isn't in those manuals ---
manuals and tutorials aren't the same.

And I don't want to be seen as a whiner who just wants everything
given to him on a platter.

What I'd like to do is just share some perceptions of what I think
might make things easier for McCLIM users and might make McCLIM more
popular.

Best,